CFD Athlete profile
This weeks athlete profile is one of the OG crew from when this crossfit thing got started ,it’s the good old flynn dogg
1. How were you introduced to Crossfit?
A few months prior to the birth of CFD, Pricey/ Michael/ Coach/ Doggy rang me and a few of my mates through a few body weight WOD’s in Fitzwilliam Square in town.
324 phone calls from Pricey and a nudge from Byrno (sorry, coach Byrno) had me Crossfiting for the first time.
I joined about a month after Byrno did, and haven’t looked back.
I hear the argument that “Crossfit is so expensive” quite often, but I suppose I put a value on trying to stay fit at some level. The Westwood/ Total Fitness approach to fitness never helped me achieve this, Crossfit did, so…case and point.
So, I think I did “Murph” as one of my first WOD’s. In fact it was scaled down to “Smurph”.
I never thought I would be able to do an RX WOD, but I kept coming back, and it got me there.
I am no where near where I want to be in terms of my fitness goals, but that is my own challenge to sort out (diet, lifestyle change etc).
I am glad to say my Crossfit experience to date has been a very positive one.
Onwards and upwards.
2. Favorite WOD/lift:
Power Clean – aiming for a 110kg clean before year end.
3. I have always wanted to…
A few things spring to mind;
– Hit Pricey (Michael not Davey) as hard as I can and see what happens!
– Do Fran in sub 4 minutes. The last time I did this WOD, I had a slight headache (hangin’) and to be honest, I think I had indigestion. It was not one of my best times!
– Do 10 muscle ups and/ or HSPU’s
– Go and see the Crossfit games next year – anyone in?
4. One word people use to describe me:
5. Outside of the gym I like to…
Work, eat, drink, rest and relax. Nothing too exciting there.
6. Something nobody knows about me or would be surprised to know about me:
I’m tapping out, I can think of nothing.
Except, I have plenty of “shiiiiiiiiiiiiit” on Pricey, can I write that?
7. Favorite physical activity outside of Crossfit:
Pretty much all of my training is in CFD, any training outside is a bit of footie or track.
8. Favorite place to eat in Dublin:
Here we go, Port house (town, not Dundrum), SABA, Salamanca, Yamamori (Georges St.) FX B’s for steak…I could go on and on here….
Nandos – It does the trick ☺
9. Song that gets me pumped up for a workout:
The Birdie Song (we all know it, right?)
Enter Sandman – Metallica
10. Proudest accomplishment:
23 rounds of Cindy, up from 19
(My goal would be 26 rounds to games standard, being judged)
11. Main two things that have most improved since joining CFD?
I suppose my metabolic conditioning has improved dramatically.
This is the one part of Crossfit that I love and keeps me coming back for more.
Attitude to training:
I am clear on why I am training. It is more of a way of life rather than a chore.
For example, I have noticed the benefits of eating clean, training a few times a week.
My work (in a professional capacity) has grown in leaps and bounds.
Unrelated, but I thought I would add it in
Pricey said it to me about a year or two ago “when you train with people, and go through the type of intensity/pain and suffering (you know what I mean) that Crossfit has to offer, you build a bond that can’t be broken with those people”
Workout of the day:
5 rounds @95%
3 back squat(heavy)@30X0
6 32/24 inch box jump
9 kb swings (heavy)
run 200 m(near sprint)
rest 3.30 minutes
Don’t be “That Guy”
*post thoughts to comments