Maximise Your Potential
There are many pieces to the puzzle when it comes to your success in any sport or endeavour. Talent is usually one that gets mentioned a lot and in my opinion maybe sometimes a little too much. Having a natural gift or talent is a fantastic head start for those lucky enough to possess it but talent alone will certainly not allow you to excel and reach the top in any sport. It is only one of the variables in determining success. There are so many cases out there where top athletes when growing up were not at the top of the pecking order when it came to natural talent but ended up excelling at the highest level in their sports.
CrossFit by its nature is a little more of an even playing field for everyone as it spans across so many facets of training and sports. If your talents set you up well for one particular aspect of CrossFit that’s great, but chances are there will be lots of stuff that don’t necessarily come easy.
There are so many things that you can do to maximize your potential that have nothing to do with talent, not only for those who want to compete at CrossFit but also for those who just want to get the most out of each class or training session.
Here is a list of ten things that require absolutely zero talent.
1) BEING ON TIME – Arrive early.
2) WORK ETHIC – Be the hardest worker in the room.
3) BODY LANGUAGE – Show enthusiasm and enjoy yourself.
4) ENERGY – If it has been a long day have a coffee, still tired? Have another…
5) EFFORT – 100% (This does not mean you have to end up hugging the ground after every session).
6) ATTITUDE – Being positive even when things don’t go your way.
7) PASSION – Have lots of it.
8) BEING COACHABLE – Be open to listening, learning and improving.
9) DOING EXTRA – Doing the boring mobility exercises that nobody wants to do.
10) BEING PREPARED – Food, gym gear etc..
All of these things require effort but are attainable for all of us.
Do your best and remember ‘Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard’.